- RSS Channel Showcase 2518692
- RSS Channel Showcase 2032208
- RSS Channel Showcase 7251764
- RSS Channel Showcase 3750623
Articles on this Page
- 01/14/17--04:59: _Go and Sin Some Mor...
- 03/01/17--11:44: _Available for Pre-o...
- 04/27/17--05:53: _The Old Evangelizat...
- 04/28/17--18:04: _Catholic Answers Live
- 05/03/17--07:50: _Upcoming Radio Inte...
- 05/05/17--06:44: _The Sacrament of Co...
- 05/29/17--07:42: _New Podcast!
- 06/12/17--05:38: _Mass Exodus: Why Ar...
- 06/30/17--07:17: _Thank You, Karl Kea...
- 10/09/17--08:58: _Why I Signed the Fi...
- 02/05/18--07:31: _Super Bowl Culture-...
- 02/16/18--08:11: _My First Conversion
- 02/19/18--06:41: _Armed Guards at Sch...
- 02/22/18--09:25: _St. Billy Graham?
- 03/13/18--10:25: _Escaping the Health...
- 04/20/18--11:23: _What’s the Best Edu...
- 06/01/18--06:52: _The Decline of Eccl...
- 07/17/18--06:51: _Catholic Answers Live
- 07/26/18--06:39: _Sooner or Later God...
- 09/10/18--12:45: _Best Nike Kaepernic...
- 01/14/17--04:59: Go and Sin Some More: The Bishops of Malta Endorse Adultery
- 03/01/17--11:44: Available for Pre-order!
- 04/27/17--05:53: The Old Evangelization: Questions and Answers
- 04/28/17--18:04: Catholic Answers Live
- 05/03/17--07:50: Upcoming Radio Interviews
- 05/05/17--06:44: The Sacrament of Confirmation: New Textbook
- 05/29/17--07:42: New Podcast!
- 06/12/17--05:38: Mass Exodus: Why Are People Leaving the Catholic Church?
- 06/30/17--07:17: Thank You, Karl Keating
- 10/09/17--08:58: Why I Signed the Filial Correction
- 02/05/18--07:31: Super Bowl Culture-Changing Commercials
- 02/16/18--08:11: My First Conversion
- 02/19/18--06:41: Armed Guards at Schools Aren’t the Answer
- 02/22/18--09:25: St. Billy Graham?
- 03/13/18--10:25: Escaping the Health Insurance System
- 04/20/18--11:23: What’s the Best Education Option for Catholic Families Today?
- 06/01/18--06:52: The Decline of Ecclesia: A Parable
- 07/17/18--06:51: Catholic Answers Live
- 07/26/18--06:39: Sooner or Later God’ll Cut You Down
- 09/10/18--12:45: Best Nike Kaepernick Ad Parodies
The bishops of Malta have issued a document titled “Criteria for the Application of Chapter VIII of Amoris Lætitia.” For those who haven’t been paying attention, Chapter 8 of AL deals with whether divorced and remarried Catholics should be able to receive Communion – an issue that has been transformed into the most pressing issue of […]
The post Go and Sin Some More: The Bishops of Malta Endorse Adultery appeared first on Swimming Upstream.
I’m excited to announce that my latest book, “The Old Evangelization: How to Spread the Faith Like Jesus Did” (published by Catholic Answers Press) is now available on Amazon for pre-order! This book explores the best way to evangelize today, based on the model of Jesus himself, plus the saints, as well as my own personal […]
My book The Old Evangelization: How to Spread the Faith Like Jesus Did has just been released by Catholic Answers Press! In order to introduce the book, here is a brief Q&A I recently did with the publisher: Q. Before we get into The Old Evangelization, could you give us a definition of “The New […]
Earlier this evening I was the guest on Catholic Answers Live to talk about my new book, The Old Evangelization: How to Spread the Faith Like Jesus Did. If you missed it you can view it here:
I have a number of upcoming radio interviews talking about Catholic evangelization and my new book, The Old Evangelization: How to Spread the Faith Like Jesus Did: Thursday, May 4th, 7:45 AM EST: SonRise Morning Show Thursday, May 4th, 3:00 PM EST: Meet the Author Friday, May 5th, 8:15 AM EST: Iowa Catholic Radio Wednesday, […]
Midwest Theological Forum – creators of the Didache Series of High School Catholic textbooks – has just introduced the first book in their new Sacramental Preparation series: The Sacrament of Confirmation. I was privileged to be the Editor of this book, and I think it’s a wonderful resource for parishes, schools, and parents preparing children […]
I’ve started a podcast! My plans are to put up about two episodes a week. I’ll discuss the same topics I cover in my writings: Catholicism, technology, culture, and baseball. My guess is about half the episodes will cover Catholic topics, and the rest my other areas of interest. I’m keeping each episode to 10 […]
For a further discussion of this issue, listen to my podcast “Why Are People Leaving the Catholic Church?”
The post Mass Exodus: Why Are People Leaving the Catholic Church? appeared first on Swimming Upstream.
It was 1991. I was in college, an enthusiastic Evangelical Protestant. My roommate was a just-as-enthusiastic Catholic. Inevitably this led to many theological debates, such as whether we are assured of our salvation, the meaning of baptism, and the role of Mary in our salvation. I have warm memories of that time in my life, […]
By now most Catholics have heard of the “Filial Correction” issued by a group of 62 clergy and scholars and addressed to Pope Francis. In essence, the Filial Correction argues that by his words, deeds, and omissions, Pope Francis has allowed a number of heretical opinions regarding marriage, the moral life, and the reception of […]
I’m not a big football fan. I don’t watch any of the regular season, and just a little of the playoffs. But I’m an American, so I do usually watch the Super Bowl, if not for the game, then for the commercials. Super Bowl commercials are a cultural touchstone—they often give an accurate reflection of […]
My conversion to Catholicism was the most important moment of my life, leading me into the Church Christ founded. But this conversion when I was 21 years old was actually my second religious conversion. The first happened five years previously. Although I consider the conversion to Catholicism as more significant, if not for my first conversion, that […]
The nation witnessed another school shooting last week, this time in Florida. And like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano, the Left flocked to the tragedy in order to scream for more gun control. Of course, with the Left everything is about control, for they want the government to run every aspect of our […]
Billy Graham, the famous Protestant evangelist, died yesterday at the age of 99. Graham, of course, is one of the best-known and beloved Americans of the 20th century. He met with every President since Truman, and his evangelistic crusades led millions of people to commit their lives to Christ. By all accounts, he was a […]
In 2016 I decided to leave my job to become self-employed. I had already lined up some clients and felt confident that I could bring in enough revenue to support my family and pay my bills. My family lives pretty frugally, so I didn’t need a lot of revenue to make ends meet. But there […]
It’s a common occurrence for homeschooling parents: you tell someone you homeschool, and the immediate reaction is, “Oh, I could never do that!” For some reason, there’s an immediate defensiveness on the part of the non-homeschooling parent. Because of this, a lot of homeschoolers tend to quickly emphasize that homeschooling isn’t for everyone, and that […]
The post What’s the Best Education Option for Catholic Families Today? appeared first on Swimming Upstream.
“It’s no good, calling the police,” I explained. “Why not? It’s their job to protect us!” I understood my nephew’s frustration. Our once-beautiful town of Ecclesia has for years been overridden with crime. The police have apparently given up. For a while they did the rounds, making an appearance of fighting crime, while in reality […]
I was on Catholic Answers Live last night to talk about evangelization. If you missed it, you can check it out here:
Johnny Cash has a word for warning for Cardinal McCarrick and the bishops who enabled him:
Last week Nike released an ad featuring controversial former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. In case you were visiting Mars the past week, here it is: For those who might be unaware (would that be anyone at this point?), Kaepernick is a former NFL quarterback who became (in)famous for kneeling during the National Anthem to protest police brutality. […]